Sometimes you just need to reference a good cookbook. It’s so easy to search the internet for recipes that I forget about the library of cookbooks that I have collected over the years. These books are full of amazing recipes and beautiful pictures, which is what initially inspired me to take photos of my own food and post them online on this blog. Who doesn’t get inspired when reading a cookbook? And if we are being honest, as much as I love this blog, it is certainly a dream of mine to have my own cookbook one day, too.
Baker loves to pull my cookbooks off the shelf, because he must think that I love to clean them up over and over again. Well one Saturday morning, I actually sat on the floor with my pile of books courtesy of Baker the Destroyer and started flipping through them instead of just putting them back on their designated shelf. Like a good novel, I quickly became lost in the pages and wanted to cook the day away in the kitchen. Then I remembered the two kids, the DIY project husband, the messy house, the dirty laundry, and so on and so on and that dream was narrowed down to preparing one meal at dinner, but man was it good! As always, I am drawn to what I like to call “uncomplicated gourmet” dishes and this one certainly fits that bill! Thanks Everyday Food: Great Food Fast for this delectable dinner!
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cod with Leeks and Tomatoes.
- 2 medium leeks, white and light-green parts only, thinly sliced, rinsed well, and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes (about 12 ounces)
- 4 cod fillets, each 6 to 8 ounces and 3/4 to 1 inch thick
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, toss together leeks, lemon juice, oil, lemon zest, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover with foil, and bake until leeks just begin to soften, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from oven. Add tomatoes, and toss to combine. Season both sides of cod fillets with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; place on top of vegetables.
- Cover dish and bake until fish is opaque throughout, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately.