In my house of crazies (who I love and adore), the ONLY time that I get to watch a “mommy show” is in the wee hours of the morning. In fact, as I write this post it is currently 5:20 a.m. and I have already cleaned up the kitchen from last night, folded a load of laundry and started another. Things happen for me before the break of dawn. A few weeks back during my early morning escapade, I caught an old episode of Barefoot Contessa, where she was preparing food for a house warming party. She made this delicious Tequila Citrus Chicken and it looked mouth watering even at 5 in the morning. I got to thinking about all the ingredients and if I could possibly have it all on hand to make her dish. It was like kitchen pantry success when I discovered that in-fact I did!! It also called for the chicken to marinate for 8 hours and since it was about 12 hours until dinner time, I had time on my side! I was able to follow her recipe pretty closely, but I also marinated and grilled some chicken drumsticks, because Hunter LOVES them and when you find something unprocessed and not out of a box that your kids love, you make it…..A LOT!!!! I also served it with Easy Homemade Spanish Rice and all in all it was a full-rounded success!
Thank you, Ina Garten! Thank you, kitchen pantry! And thank you, early mornings for “mommy shows”. Now I am beginning to hear little voices and little feet, so off to mommy land I go!
Adapted from Ina Garten's Tequila Citrus Chicken
- 1/2 cup gold tequila
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (5 to 6 limes)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (2 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeno pepper (1 pepper seeded)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (3 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 split boneless chicken breasts
- 4-5 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- Combine the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, chili powder, jalapeno pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken breasts. Refrigerate overnight.
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat. Brush the rack with oil or spray with cooking oil spray to prevent the chicken from sticking to the grates.
- Remove the chicken breasts and drumsticks from the marinade. Sprinkle additional salt and pepper over chicken breasts and drumsticks, and grill them skin-side down for about 5-.6 minutes. Continuously brush the chicken with marinade as it cooks. Turn the chicken and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160-165 degrees F. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover tightly with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Tequila Lime Chicken with Easy Homemade Spanish Rice
Thanks for reading and to keep in touch you can Subscribe to High Heels To Hot Wheels by Email and follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. This site includes affiliate shopping links of which I receive a small percentage of sales to allow me to continue to create new content for my readers, so thank you for your support. I am also asked to review and test products, but will only present products that fit the nature of this blog and that I believe in. All opinions are my own.