In the words of Kotter “Welcome Back”!! Yesterday was my first official time back in the kitchen in about a month. We did a lot of takeout that last week of my pregnancy and then were super blessed by the sweetest friends with delicious meals night after night, but now that life with our new family of four is settling in a bit and Drew’s parents are in town to meet our sweet little Baker Love Muffin, it’s time for Momma to get to cooking!
One of the most fantastic dishes that was brought to us was sauteed green beans by my friend Shelly. They were so flavorful and were delicious when they warm, room temperature and even cold! She told me how to make her recipe, so I could make them for our family dinner, but, of course, in true mommy brain fashion, I forgot half the ingredients when I was at the store partly due to sleep deprivation and partly because I haven’t properly grocery shopped in quite a while and was a bit off my game. Due to my incomplete ingredient list, I had to wing it and come up with my own version and while I think Shelly’s were second to none, my variation was quite good!
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Kosher salt & black pepper to taste
- Rinse green beans and trim ends. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add green beans and let cook 3 minutes. Remove beans immediately from boiling water and immerse in a bowl of ice cold water. Drain green beans after about 5-6 minutes and set aside.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add green beans, chopped onion and minced garlic and toss to coat. Add olive oil and soy sauce and toss to coat. Let saute about 5-6 minutes and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
A bit giddy about being back in the kitchen!!
Here is another fantastic recipe that my friend Shelly made for me:
Thanks for reading and to keep in touch you can Subscribe to High Heels To Hot Wheels by Email and follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. This site includes affiliate shopping links of which I receive a small percentage of sales to allow me to continue to create new content for my readers, so thank you for your support. I am also asked to review and test products, but will only present products that fit the nature of this blog and that I believe in. All opinions are my own.