So, I admittedly have never jumped on the hipster bacon craze train, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t love bacon and that doesn’t mean that I can’t show my love for others through bacon. Boogeyman’s school hosted a teacher appreciation luncheon and asked the parents of the Rainbow room to prepare the food. This conveniently fell during my entertaining marathon, so adding yet another task to that wild week was like nothing!
Sure, I could have picked up a bottle of salad dressing and some cheese and thrown it over a bag of mixed greens, but you know what, and you know, that’s not in my DNA. Also, who doesn’t feel loved with bright, fresh red sliced strawberries staring at you like little hearts of appreciation. Of course we think our little Tiger boy is the smartest little guy in the entire world, but I must give credit where credit is due and that is to his teachers. Thanks to Ms. Tammy he is well on his way to being ready for Kindergarten. Thanks to Mr. Green and his awesome music class, we get to hear the chorus of Yellow Submarine over and over and over and over. And thanks to Ms. Lindsay, we have about 10,000 pictures of “orange tigers with black stripes” riding red motorcycles from art class. I APPRECIATE his teachers and wanted a salad to prove it! (I kind of got the last slot on the list and realize that salad might not be everyone’s idea of a meal of comfort and love, but what are you going to do?!)
I dropped off the salad ready to serve and got the bowl back empty, so that only means one thing…..well, two things actually…..either they LOVED it and ate it all or simply tossed it, but I will choose to believe that they “appreciated” the bacon-y goodness of the salad and licked the bowl once there was nothing left to eat as much as I appreciate them.
- 6 slices thick-sliced bacon, small dice (I used Applegate Natural Sunday Bacon
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Baby spinach
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Walnut pieces
- Bacon pieces (from dressing)
- Sliced strawberries
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crispy. Remove the bacon pieces and let drain on a paper napkin or paper towel. Pour all but about 3 tablespoons of drippings into a glass jar and reserve for later use.
- Add the minced garlic and shallots to the remaining 3 tablespoons of hot bacon drippings. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add brown sugar and let dissolve in drippings. Whisk in vinegar and mustard. Season with salt & pepper. Pour warm dressing over prepared salad.
- On a plate or a large glass bowl, layer baby spinach, sliced strawberries, blue cheese crumbles, bacon pieces and walnuts. Top with warm bacon vinaigrette.
Wanna know a really neat trick that I discovered when slicing 2 pounds of fresh strawberries?!?! Tomato slicer! That’s right, my handy tomato slicer can slice three large strawberries at once cutting my time slicing the little guys WAY down!!
Thanks for reading and to keep in touch you can Subscribe to High Heels To Hot Wheels by Email and follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. This site includes affiliate shopping links of which I receive a small percentage of sales to allow me to continue to create new content for my readers, so thank you for your support. I am also asked to review and test products, but will only present products that fit the nature of this blog and that I believe in. All opinions are my own.