Who says a salad can’t still be a salad without lettuce?! I recently hosted a luncheon in honor of my grandmother’s memory for some very special ladies at my house. We affectionately called it the “Mary Lillie Memory Club”, because the attendees were some of the ladies that loved my grandmother the most and she always loved a great luncheon with friends. I will get to all the fun details of the party decor a little later this week, but for now I am going to continue to focus on the menu.
Earlier this week I shared the Sweet Potato Bruschetta recipe that I served as a little amuse bouche before we sat down to eat our meal and today I am sharing this delicious salad of roasted beets, grapefruit, goat cheese and walnuts served over lentils. This salad is so fresh, not to mention pretty with a purple-inspired color palette for the luncheon. It has just the right amount of sweet to complement the savory and salty of the other ingredients. Even without another course to follow, this salad is surprisingly filling with the lentil base and the goat cheese offers a nice creamy texture, too.
- 3 beets, roasted, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup lentils, washed
- 1 cup reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Trim the stems and leaves. Wrap each beet root individually, loosely in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. Check beets every 20 minutes and turn. Remove from oven and let cool. Once cool, peel beets and cut into 1" pieces.
- With a knife, cut away the grapefruit peel to the flesh. Cut out flesh segments between each membrane.
- Place chicken broth, lentils and bay leaf in a saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cook lentils for about 20 minutes. Add a little more chicken broth if needed. Strain lentils and place in a small bowl. Season the lentils with lemon juice, salt and fresh thyme.
- Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar salt and sugar. Whisk to combine. Toss dressing with beets, walnuts and grapefruit.
- Layer lentils on a small plate and then top with beet mixture. Top salad with goat cheese and serve.
For starters try this Sweet Potato Bruschetta:
Thanks for reading and to keep in touch you can Subscribe to High Heels To Hot Wheels by Email and follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. This site includes affiliate shopping links of which I receive a small percentage of sales to allow me to continue to create new content for my readers, so thank you for your support. I am also asked to review and test products, but will only present products that fit the nature of this blog and that I believe in. All opinions are my own.