Aw, snap!!! Today is day 1 of our Great Cookie Countdown. For the next 4 days there will be a cookie-recipe-a-day until we get to the grand finale on day 4. For the second year, I participated with over 600 food bloggers across three different countries in the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap. We each were given three other food bloggers to send a dozen cookies to from a recipe of our creation or from an old family favorite. I’m excited to share that with you on Wednesday, December 11th and with that you will be linked up to over 600 cookie recipes just in time for your cookie swap parties, so until then we will take a break from our holiday dinner party menu planning and drool over yummy cookies instead!
Like many other foods in my life, I just assumed that I wasn’t a big fan of ginger snaps. I honestly don’t know what brought me to that assumption, but after a random urge to make ginger snaps, I realized quickly that I like them…….A LOT, so for today’s Cookie-Recipe-A-Day for our Great Cookie Countdown, I bring you the ginger snap!
- 3/4 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Grandma's Molasses
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and molasses and stir to combine.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda & salt. Stir into molasses mixture to form a dough.
- Using a teaspoon scoop, form dough into 1" balls. Place 1/2 cup sugar in a shallow bowl. Roll dough balls into sugar and place on an ungreased cookie sheet 2" apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees F. Let cool on baking sheet 5 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely.