The holidays are officially upon us, so that means it’s time for lots and lots of brunch, lunch and dinner recipes! We’re “brunchers” at our house and I just love a great recipe that can take you from early morning to mid-day and especially perfect to entertain a crowd with. Whether it is a casual gathering, pot-luck or a full on party, this breakfast pie is hearty and filling and sure to please. Now, I didn’t go all out Paula Deen crazy on this with heavy cream and lots of butter (except for the crust, of course), but I did lighten it up a little by using egg whites and turkey sausage.
This recipe makes two pies, but you can always cut the filling ingredients in half and reserve your second crust for a later date. The crust can be refrigerated up to 24 hours or you can stick in the freezer another time. I can’t wait to share lots of great holiday recipes with you all this season.
A delicious breakfast pie perfect for a holiday brunch!
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh herbs finely chopped (I used sage & thyme)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) VERY COLD, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 8 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 pound Honeysuckle White Breakfast Turkey Sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
- 6 slices Muenster cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add flour, salt, sugar and herbs to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add butter pieces and pulse until butter is small crumbles. Add ice cold water one tablespoon at a time pulsing the food processor about 5 times between additions. When mixture can be formed together with breaking apart, it is ready. If still crumbly, add a slight bit more water.
- Turn dough out on a floured surface. Knead lightly. For the flaky crust, push the dough with the heel of your hand into the surface. Separate into two discs, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and let sit about 5 minutes. Roll each disc out onto floured surface until about 1/4" thick and large enough to cover a 9" pie plate.
- Lightly grease the pie plate. Press dough into bottom of plate and up the sides. Trim excess dough from sides.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brown sausage and add red pepper flakes to sausage mixture.
- Place 3 slices Muenster cheese on top of the pie crust.
- In a large bowl, combine egg whites, milk, cheese, sausage, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Divide between two pies (if you only want to make one pie, reduce the ingredients by half. The additional crust dough can be kept refrigerated up to 24 hours or placed in the freezer if you want to use later.)
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until center is set. Serve immediately.
Thanks for reading and to keep in touch you can Subscribe to High Heels To Hot Wheels by Email and follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. This site includes affiliate shopping links of which I receive a small percentage of sales to allow me to continue to create new content for my readers, so thank you for your support. I am also asked to review and test products, but will only present products that fit the nature of this blog and that I believe in. All opinions are my own.