Are you ready? Ready Freddy? Ready Steady? Let’s GO!!!!!!! So my child has a slight obsession with Disney’s Teen Beach Movie. The songs, the scenes, the whole freakin’ thing! It is truly a very silly movie, but I have to remind myself every time we watch it that good, clean humor is exactly what he needs at age 4! I get so caught up in my
smut ”Mommy Shows” (which, of course, he’s not allowed to watch) watching crazy “housewives” duke it out again and again that I forget that sometimes simple, sweet story lines can be easy on the soul especially when I hear him belly laugh at something I find zero humor in, but suddenly find hilarious just because he does.
Our life as a family is a bit of a circus right now. My very smart and hard-working husband has started his own company this summer and I couldn’t be prouder of his success right out the gate (You would be shocked how calm my Type A personality has been with this! Must be love!), but he has to travel A LOT!!!! That leaves the Boogey Man and me with a lot of time without daddy, so when we are together as a family we want to make the most of it! We love a movie night and what’s usually on the roster? You guessed it!! Teen Beach Movie!! Our movie night menu is simple and classic…….pizza, popcorn and ice cream (and maybe a little wine for mommy and daddy). We love these delicious moments together as a family!
After recently getting my August issue of Bon Appetit, one of my very favorite foodie mags, I decided to make their DELICIOUS homemade ice cream sandwiches for our family movie night. I have yet to invest in an ice cream maker, so I used the Breyers’ Butter Pecan ice cream for the filling. WOWZERS!! The movie, the ice cream sandwich, and the family night were all a hit!! In this crazy busy life of ours, it is so refreshing to just take a break and be together as a family.
How do you share delicious moments with your family?! Leave a comment below by September 3rd and one will be selected at random to win a $25 Target gift card from Breyers to help you enjoy even more of these moments together!
Adapted from Bon Appetit's Ice Cream Sandwich recipe from August 2013 Issue. I replaced the light corn syrup with light maple syrup.
- Quart of Breyers Butter Pecan Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp AP flour
- 1/4 cup Hershey's natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp light maple syrup (BA's recipe calls for 1 tbsp light corn syrup)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- In a bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter, sugar and maple syrup until light, about 3-5 minutes. Add egg yolk and vanilla and beat until combined, about 20-30 seconds.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture slowly in batches. Mix in sour cream. Remove dough from bowl and form into a square about 3/4" thick and tightly wrap with plastic wrap. Chill at least 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Once chilled, remove dough from refrigerator. Place one sheet of parchment paper on a flat cookie sheet. Place dough on paper and top with another piece of parchment paper. Roll out dough until it is about 1/8"-1/4" thickness. Place cookie sheet and dough in the refrigerator and chill another 30 minutes.
- Remove dough and take off top parchment paper. Trim dough into a rectangle. Bake cookie until dry and edges are just set, about 8-10 minutes depending on your oven. Remove cookie sheet from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Remove ice cream from freezer and allow to soften just a bit. Cut cookies into 3" squares and then cut in half on a diagonal. Turn 1/2 of the triangles upside down and scoop an even amount of ice cream per triangle and then press top cookie over ice cream. Wrap two halves in aluminum foil and freeze for at least 4 hours.
I love my little family!!!
Thanks for reading and to keep in touch you can Subscribe to High Heels To Hot Wheels by Email and follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. This site includes affiliate shopping links of which I receive a small percentage of sales to allow me to continue to create new content for my readers, so thank you for your support. I am also asked to review and test products, but will only present products that fit the nature of this blog and that I believe in. All opinions are my own.