What goes together like 4th of July and fireworks?! Barbecue and cornbread, of course. This slow cooked chicken barbecue is not only delicious and perfect for all your patriotic festivities, it is also EASY. You can literally “fix-it and forget-it” while you spend the day swimming, slip and slidin’ and slurpin’ on some festive sips! Pair it with Sundried Tomato Sweet Cornbread and you have the perfect meal for a day of food, fireworks and fun!
This easy and uncomplicated barbecue slow cooker chicken is perfect for a busy day or a "fix-it and forget-it" kind of meal for a 4th of July party.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey or sweet agave nectar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Rinse and pat dry chicken breasts. In a mixing bowl, combine ketchup, honey/agave, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt and crushed red pepper. Stir until combined.
- Place chicken in a slow cooker. Pour the barbecue sauce over the chicken. Set cooker to low for 6 hours. After 30 minutes, flip chicken and recoat all sides with sauce. Cook for 5-6 hours or until chicken will easily pull apart with a fork.
- On a cutting board shred chicken with a meat fork and place in aluminum foil for about 5-10 minutes with leftover sauce from the cooker.
- Serve with cornbread, fresh tomatoes and cole slaw.
If you love this barbecue, but must appeal to those Peg Leg Porkers……add this Dutch Oven Slow Cooked Pulled Pork Loin to your menu:
Thanks for reading and to keep in touch you can Subscribe to High Heels To Hot Wheels by Email and follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. This site includes affiliate shopping links of which I receive a small percentage of sales to allow me to continue to create new content for my readers, so thank you for your support.