So I cheated just a little bit on my Lenten fast. I have been REALLY good, I mean REALLY good!!!! I haven’t even given in on Sundays even though Wikipedia just confirmed that Sundays aren’t counted in Lent and technically I can eat sweets on Sunday and since the internet doesn’t lie I know it must be true……BUT I won’t give in, I won’t and for that hopefully my little Easter dress will fit a bit better. However, I can’t present a recipe to you and tell you how good it is unless I at least try it. My husband is so sweet and told me this cake was great and it goes without saying that the Boogeyman liked it, but since Drew would tell me poo on a plate that I made him was good, I HAD to try it for myself and it’s kinda good…….like really, really good, but alas I could only allow myself the smallest bite as to not waver from my sweet sacrifice. I set it out for yet another attempt to lure a buyer for our home through their tummies and maybe I will have better luck next weekend, but I’m pretty sure they liked the cake (obviously more than our house) because nearly half of it was gone. This cake is dense and moist and full of rich flavor and I think would also make pretty darn good cupcakes with a little cream cheese frosting, but for me to have gone that route it would have been torture worse than death, so I gave it a little shake of the sifter with some powdered sugar and called it a day! This is a fun recipe for your St. Patrick’s Day parties and I’m pretty certain will win over all your little leprechauns, too!
Original recipe was found on allrecipes.com. I found the actual cooking time was a bit shorter than original recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups white sugar
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- Powdered sugar for sifting
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease a10-inch Bundt pan.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, cream butter and sugar together for about 3-5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating until each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next one.Mix in cream cheese and vanilla extract.
- Mix in flour 1/2 cup at a time until mixture is smooth. Pour batter in greased pan.
- Bake cake in oven until top is golden brown about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Sift powdered sugar on top for serving.