Winter, it’s time for you to go!!! I mean, really, please leave and bring on a gorgeous spring followed by a nice warm summer with lots and lots of delicious tomatoes. Yesterday when I was grocery shopping at Publix I got so excited when I saw yellow tomatoes that I knew I HAD to make some caprese salad to at least take my mind and mouth to summer even if Mother Nature refused!!! Since the yellow tomatoes are a bit pricey this time of year, I decided to scale back the salad a bit from a side dish (or in my case the full meal in the summer) to a little more of a snack. Caprese isn’t really something that you can eat without a fork or some sort of skewer, so to make it a finger food snack, it needed a base. The Rutherford & Meyer Gourmet Wafers that I found in the deli section were the perfect foundation for this savory snack!!! I thought about phyllo cups, but in the end they were a little flakier and heavier than I wanted for this crisp snack. Summer tomatoes may still be a few months away, but this little snack sure did take me there for a minute!
This is truly summer on a cracker!
- 1 ripe yellow tomato, diced
- 1 ripe red tomato, diced
- 2 ounces fresh mozarella, chopped
- Fresh basil, cut into small strips
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Aged Balsamic Vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 36 Rutherford & Meyer Garlic and Olive Oil Gourmet Wafers
- In mixing bowl, combine yellow and red tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and chill in refrigerator for at least one hour. Top each wafer with a spoonful of tomato mixture, basil strip and mozzarella.
Light and crispy, these crackers make the perfect base for lots of pre-meal snacks without being too filling.