Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to little ole me……….Happy Birthday to me! How old am I? YEAH RIGHT! So today is my birthday and I announce it with such jubilance because I absolutely love odd years and even birthdays and it just so happens to be an odd year and I am turning 30-even something, so today I celebrate!!!! Some of my sweet friends gave me a waffle maker for my birthday and while I am not much of a waffle person, who doesn’t want to make big, beautiful waffles?! So, I did! For some reason cake is on my brain. Can’t figure out why, so I made red velvet waffles for the boys (and a few bites for me……okay, I can’t tell a birthday lie….a few more than a few bites. Lay off me it’s my burfday!). While exercising I watched Brunch @ Bobby’s and he made berry preserves for his Creole Brunch menu, so I decided to kick up those waffles a notch with some warm berry compote. Breakfast was a hit and now it is onto a fun family celebration at my FAVORITE Mexican restaurant in Nashville Rosepepper Cantina, where I may or may not have to get a Skinny Margarita to drink with my super low-calorie, guilt-free AMAZING cheese dip. I will be pulling the car home! Anyway, here’s to an even birthday in an odd year that I know is going to be a great one! I can feel it……or maybe that’s the waffles………
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 16 oz mixed frozen berries, thawed
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon butter, cold and cubed
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.
- In a mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar; continue beating just until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Whisk together egg yolks, milk and vanilla. Fold milk mixture into flour mixture using a rubber spatula. Blend just until dry ingredients are moistened being careful not to overmix.
- Stir in melted butter. Fold in beaten egg whites until combined. Add food coloring and stir carefully to combine. Pour batter onto a hot, greased waffle maker and bake. Makes 3 waffles.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar with 1/8 water and bring to a boil stirring to dissolve sugar. Add mixed berries and return to a boil. Add butter and stir to melt butter. Spoon berries over waffles or serve with vanilla bean ice cream for a dessert option.