I know what you’re thinking…….”Cream, bacon? May have to skip this one until my healthy New Year’s resolution has finally taken effect.” Well, guess what?! Think again!!!! Now, I’m not claiming this is the healthiest dish if you resolved for completely clean-eating, but for creamy grits it sure has most other recipes beat in the ole nutritional value department. Rather than heavy cream, I opted for Laughing Cow Light Garlic & Onion Wedges to give it the creamy component. Jennie O Turkey Bacon definitely cut the fat and calories for the dish, and sauteed grape tomatoes and scallions added lots of fresh flavor. I will say that I have tried and tried to get my hubs on board with the turkey bacon and I just can’t seem to win him over, so he said he would have preferred regular bacon, but he isn’t quite as health conscious as I am, so I am just fine with the turkey bacon and I bet you will be, too!!!
A healthier take on creamy grits!
- 3/4 cups quick grits
- 3 cups water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 6 slices Jennie O turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes
- 3 green onions, sliced (green parts only)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 Laughing Cow Light Garlic and Onion Wedges
- Bring 3 cups water with dissolved beef bouillon cube to a boil. Add grits. Turn heat to low, cover and let simmer 5-10 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat and crumble once cooled.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil and add grape tomatoes and sliced green onions. Gently burst tomatoes in skillet being careful to not cause a splatter. After about 1 minute, add wine to deglaze the pan and let saute until wine is absorbed.
- Once grits are cooked, add Garlic & Onion Wedges, tomato mixture, bacon and salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir to combine to melt cheese and serve.