It is a rare occasion when my husband requests that we have people over for dinner. I think this is likely true for 75% of men in relationships. Typically our weekends involve me telling him what our plans are or who we are having over for dinner, but for some reason he got the hankering to do a little entertaining this coming up weekend. My first instinct was to pull together some elaborate menu, but I am thinking that since this is his night (even though I will still be the one wearing the apron) I should probably plan a meal that he would appreciate. Nothing fussy and all manly, so in my menu planning I am trying out some tried and true recipes that work for any crowd, but especially those big burly men. I know that he will want LOTS of pre-dinner snacks, so I pulled out an old faithful cheddar olive bites appetizer favorite and gave it whirl. The other good part about this tasty treat is you can make it ahead of time. It is great served warm and they can totally be reheated, but they can also be served at room temperature. I’m not sure what else will make the roundup, but I’m thinking that I need to do some beer braised short ribs, mashed potatoes and I may finish it off with a heavy bread pudding. Arghhhhhh……
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup flour, sifted
- 2 dozen pimento stuffed green olives
- In a stand mixer (or by hand), cream butter and cheese. Add other ingredients. Stir to combine. Dough will be crumbly. Form into a dough ball. Chill 15-20 minutes.
- Break away dough from ball and mold around olive. Press seams together if crumbly. Moisture from olives will help form dough.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. Serve hot or place in airtight container and serve at room temperature.