Caprese salad is undoubtedly my FAVORITE summertime dish and since it is Tomatofest 2012 at the Hardin house, I can eat it every night if I want to……..probably won’t, but I can if I want to. I recently changed it up a little by using pesto I had on hand rather than fresh basil leaves and it was super flavorful although a bit messy, but definitely still as tasty as ever! Speaking of Tomatofest, if you are in the Nashville area on August 11th, you MUST head over to Nashville for the annual Tomato Art Fest, where they celebrate all things tomato and it’s tomato-y fun for all ages.
Viva Tomato!!! A uniter not a divider!!!!!
Classic summertime favorite!
- 4 large ripe tomatoes (I used Rutgers)
- Fresh whole-milk mozarella
- Fresh pesto
- Balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup chopped basil
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- salt & pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Slice tomatoes about 1/2" thick. Drizzle pesto on a plate and then place the first tomato slice over the pesto. Spread pesto over of the top of the tomato and add a slice of mozarella cut about 1/4" thick or to desired thickness. Continue to layer ingredients until desired portion. Drizzle the top with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with pine nuts, salt & fresh cracked black pepper.
If you prefer not to serve as a stack you can chop the tomatoes and cheese and toss with the pesto.